Localizing the global goals at cities and urban areas is important for an urban nation like Malaysia and the Malaysia SDG Cities will ensure integration between national and state policies at all levels are aligned to the SDG by realizing the aspirations and ensuring of its effective implementation locally. 1) Raise local government awareness, commitment and capacities towards sustainable agenda.
2) Set local priorities and focus attention on urgent urban challenges to harness future opportunities.
3) Create a platform for partnership to mobilize and empower stakeholders to identify practical integrated and innovative Solutions.
4) Develop an Action Plan to match the SDSG and synchronized and align with National, State and Local development agendas.
5) Facilitate local government access to funding resources and develop business models to to finance SDGs actions
6) Strengthen role of Local Governments to monitor, evaluate and report SDG progress to national and state level.
7) Enable Local Governments and communities to be the catalyst of local change.